Wobble your way to fitness with fun balance board exercises.
Balance board training can be a great way to improve your core muscles and even your upper body. They’re a fun way to improve balance and can be one of the best mobility exercises for people with lower leg injuries. If you have a wobble board but aren’t sure how to use it, keep reading!
What is a wobble board and how does it work?
A wobble board is a round or oval-shaped board with a dome or cylinder-shaped base. The base is designed to be unstable, allowing the board to rock, tilt, and rotate in all directions. This instability forces the user to engage their core muscles and maintain their balance while standing on the board. The user can also perform various exercises on the board, such as lunges, squats, and push-ups, to challenge their balance and stability further.
How to use a wobble board:
- Your starting position should be with your feet shoulder-width apart and your arms by your sides. Make sure you have your board forward and in a straight line.
- Slowly shift your weight from one foot to the other, allowing the board to rock and tilt.
- As you become comfortable with this movement, try closing your eyes or looking at a fixed point in the distance to increase the challenge.
- Once you feel confident standing on the board, you can start incorporating more challenging exercises into your routine. For example, you can try lunges, squats, or push-ups while standing on the board.
- Gradually increase the difficulty of your wobble board exercises as you become more comfortable and proficient with the wobble board.
Benefits of using a rocker board:
- Improves balance and stability: By forcing you to engage your core muscles and maintain your balance, a wobble board can help improve your overall balance and stability. This is especially useful for athletes and anyone who performs activities that require good balance, such as dancing or skiing.
- Reduces the risk of injury: A wobble board can help strengthen the muscles around your ankles, knees, and hips, which can help reduce the risk of injuries such as sprains and strains.
- Enhances sports performance: Improving your balance and stability can also enhance your performance in sports and physical activities. It can help you move more efficiently and effectively, leading to improved coordination and overall performance.
- Increases body awareness: Using balance boards can also increase your body awareness, helping you to become more attuned to your body’s movements and position in space.
A balance board is a simple yet effective tool for improving balance and stability. Just make sure you take it easy or use a certified personal trainer to protect against injuries such as ankle sprains.
Can anyone use balance boards?
Yes, wobble boards are suitable for people of all ages and fitness levels. However, it is always a good idea to consult with a healthcare professional or a trained instructor before starting any new exercise routine, especially if you have any underlying health conditions.
On a balance board, all muscle groups involved are further engaged to maintain balance. A good exercise, to begin with, is, lie on the floor with your knees bent. Rest your feet on the board with your arms at your sides. Push from the heels to lift your hips up until it forms a straight line with your shoulders and knees. Engage your glutes and hold this position for a few seconds. Slowly lower your hips to the floor. Repeat 10 to 15 times per set.